Friday, September 18, 2009

2 surprises

Late last night, E surprised me with an invitation to an early morning breakfast date. (He knows I love breakfast & mornings) :) He had slipped the invite into my pile of already-read mail and as I picked through the pile again late last night (as he hoped I would do) I saw it.


A medium sized envelope, unopened, and addressed to me.


"How in the world?" I whispered incredulously under my breath. First I assumed I had just missed seeing it the first time. Then I thought maybe God had sent it to me from Heaven to encourage me on a not-so-great day.
Turns out it was neither case. A sweet invitation to a date for two. 
And so this morning we woke early and drove down quiet city roads in the still morning light. We ate at a quaint cafe/bakery in the city and watched as the early morning sun peeked it's face out amongst the trees & houses; it's first rays landed right on my forehead!
We talked & chatted and E asked me some thought provoking questions (i love questions).  And then I learned something new about him. It surprised me, really, because while I know we've only been married a year, I sometimes think I already know everything about him.
Chumley. A nickname his family had given him growing up. All his siblings had one, and I knew a couple names, but I didn't know that he had been given one too. He generally dislikes nicknames. "What?!" I said, somewhat shocked. "I never knew that!" He shrugged his shoulders and smiled sheepishly. "You never knew?" he said back. "But you hate nicknames!" "That's probably why it didn't stick."
A new side, a new story, to this man that I've committed my life to. Precious memories, tons of memories, from childhood, adolescence and early adulthood that are yet to be heard~ yet to be told. 
So I've had not one but two surprises. An invitation & a nickname. 
And the pleasure of warm sun on my forehead :)

No comments:

Post a Comment